While hearing loss is sometimes sudden, it is often gradual and you may not notice it at first. Family members or friends often are the first to notice the hearing loss
Early signs of hearing loss can include:
- Difficulty hearing other people clearly and misunderstanding what they say
- Asking people to repeat themselves
- Inability to hear what people at the far end of the room are saying in a group or in a meeting
- Not able to hear clearly when people are talking but not facing you directly
- Inability to listen to music or television properly at a volume which others can listen to in the room
- Desire to turn up the volume of the TV or music system
- Difficulty hearing the telephone or doorbell from another room
- Feeling tired or stressed, due to having to concentrate closely while listening
Other symptoms that may occur with hearing loss include:
- Ringing, roaring, hissing, or buzzing in the ear (tinnitus).
- Ear pain, itching, or irritation.
- Pus or fluid leaking from the ear. This may result from an injury or infection that can cause hearing loss.
- Vertigo, which can occur with hearing loss
Most often we are in denial when it comes to gradual hearing loss Do not hesitate to evaluate your hearing by taking a hearing test at Dandekar Hearing Services